BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sometimes it's just hard

Sometimes being a mom is just plain old hard work.  Today I wanted to just pull the covers over my head and stay in bed all day.  Instead I got up at 4:45 and went to a 5:15 am boot camp workout.  I guess that was the better option.
Seriously though, I've been struggling this week.  I'm not trying to have a pity party or "whoa is me" moment.  I'm not trying to compare myself with others, but I guess in a way I am.  I'm wondering what I can pass down to my daughter. (and even my boys).  There is a family at church that I am absolutely blown away by.  I think to myself "is there anything you can't do"?  All the children are very bright, can play about every instrument out there, can sing and cook and sew and crochet and and and........And that gets me thinking.....what can I pass down to Jenna?  I'm so afraid I am leaving her nothing.  I can barely sew a button on, I can't really teach her music lessons, I can only cook the basics, can barely draw a stick person....so what on earth can I pass down to her, and how can I figure out her gifts when I have a hard time with my own. I am blown away when people see something on pinterest and can run with it.  It doesn't work that way with me.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just a stay at home mom and sometimes I'm not even doing good at that.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

You can pass JESUS on to her. That is ALL that matters. Compassion and love and service to her fellow man. WHATEVER you do, do all to the glory of God, teach her His words when she lies down, when she wakes up, when she eats, when she plays, when she works.

I understand your thoughts. Sometimes I wish we had more money so I could put my kids in every activity and give them every opportunity. That's not do-able for us, so we focus on one thing per child per season. Right now it's the arts (music and art) for Lauren, Gymnastics for Kimberly and the boys. I have very little in the way of abilities- nothing artistic or athletic about me. But I have Jesus and I know how to love people. If that is all I ever teach my kids, it will
be enough.

Monica said...

What have you passed on to your kids already? That they matter. You spend time with them. You make crafts with Jenna; you go to all their sporting events and cheer them on. You help them with homework on a level my parents never did. (If I had a project, my Mom simply said, "Do it.") You're teaching them that people matter by your willingness to provide meals for people in need for the church. Every time they see you with a million and one things to do drop everything and provide a meal for someone with a positive attitude, you re-inforce your teaching and what a servant's heart is all about. You've passed on to them stewardship, how to search for bargains and live within their means, which is much more useful than any music lesson will ever be. You're passing on to them discipline. They've watched you discipline yourself this last year and lose 50+ pounds...and do it with a good attitude to boot! You've not been cranky at parties or turned your nose up when people discuss food. You've displayed how to choose food within your diet without making a big deal about it and how to be polite while doing so. You've taught them how to honor a parent - by doing so. They've watched you more than you know this last year as you've helped your Dad with both physical and emotional things. You've sacrificed to put them in a Christian school where they've been taught respect for God's word (Bobby commented on Josh standing to read the Bible on the way home from church last Sunday...he was impressed). My Mom taught me many, many things, but the things I value the most today are all the moral lessons she taught me...about love, forgiveness, language, purity, family, etc. As I Corinthians 13 reminds, we can do all kinds of wonderful things, but if we don't know how to love others...we're absolutely nothing.