BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Childhood Memories

I grew up in Illinois.  Yes, Jack did not marry a southern girl:).  I remember all the winters we had while I was growing up.  We lived in a very rural community.  Our country road was probably about two-three miles long and we knew everyone that lived on the road.  Winters there were nothing.  My brother would go to the church parking lot and do donuts on the snow in his car.  Canceling school did not happen often.  I remember my dad putting chains on his car tires until he could get up to the highway.  I remember times when it snowed so hard and drifted so much, that we would have to wait until the snow plow would come to clear our road.....and amazed at how big the piles of snow were once the roads were plowed.  I remember that even though my dad was in complete control I would worry about meeting another car on the road....I mean how on early could two cars get through this narrow road.  I remember all the fun times on the farm.  Sledding down the huge hills we had (and wearing so many layers).  I remember how much fun when the neighbor would call me and ask me to come over.  We would tie sleds behind her snow mobile and her dad would take us for crazy rides through all the corn fields!!  I remember my dad tying a car hood to the back of his tractor taking us up and down the roads behind him.  Sometimes I really wish my kids could experience all of this.....
      But one thing I never did was drive in the snow.  Yep...that's right.  I took drivers ed the summer after I turned 16.  In September I got my license and less than one week later, my parents moved me down to NC. (a whole different story there).  So in my old age I've grown "soft".  I do not drive on snow or ice.  I tried it during that bad storm that shut down Raleigh and won't do it again.  I hate snow storms here.  I hate feeling locked in.  Even though it only usually lasts a few days, it feels like months to me.  I get cabin fever.  I eat more, I get depressed more.  Two weeks ago I felt such freedom when I left the house on a Friday afternoon.  I'm getting ready to feel that way again with round 2 of snow and ice coming in.  I so wish I could enjoy it more like when I was young and carefree, but for now....winter....will you please go away and bring on the spring (although I don't think we will have a spring break this year).

2 comments:

Monica said...

I didn't realize you lived on a farm. From you comments about school I just assumed you were a town girl. Learned something new! :)

sara said...

Hah! I agree! I am done with the snow! That sounds so fun sledding behind the snowmobile!