BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 20, 2015

Mid-West Memories

My kids and I enjoyed a week off of school.  We were able to rest and not have stress and finish our science fair projects.  NC has had some really icy roads and low temperatures.  I remember growing up in Illinois where we lived in a very rural area on a farm.  We were at the end of the road.  I'm guessing the road twisted and turned for about 4 miles??  I remember some of the bad winters were the snow would drift and the only way out was if the snow plow could come and get us.  We had a big picture window and I could remember the joy of seeing the snow plow coming down the road.  I also remember my dad putting on chains on the tires until he could get to the highway.  I can also remember at times the drifts so high on both sides of the road.  I would cringe if another car was coming because to this day, I don't know how two cars passed each other with snow drifts on both sides!! My dad always made sure that we were equipped in case we got stuck in a snow drift or our car broke down.  Being equipped included making sure we were ready in case we had to walk home (which we never did) but we dressed accordingly.


I had to laugh this week because even in the frigid temperatures, my boys go to the car in shorts.  Two times one of them did not have even a sweatshirt on, and I went and got it for them.  It drives me nuts!!  I keep trying to tell them about when I was little and asking them "what if I ran out of gas"?  "Mom, that will never happen!!".  Ok, what if I break down or what if I skid off the road from the ice and we have to walk home?   Somehow, I can't get through to them that something could happen and they would be very cold if they had to walk home!! 


The are teens/pre-teens and old enough to know about the cold.  Neither one can stand to wear a pair of pants!!  I choose my battles!!  There are plenty of other things to be right about and if they are ok with the cold than I guess I am.  Maybe they would change their mind if I took them home and they saw the huge snow drifts!!

1 comments:

Monica said...

LOL! My brother-in-law comes over to our house to scrape the driveway for us...in a sweatshirt, coat, hat, and shorts. It makes no sense to me, but he wears shorts year 'round!