BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 29, 2014

The Scale=Discouragment

So for the past 60+ days I went back to using "my fitness pal".  I decided my food handling was getting out of hand and I wanted to see what I was really eating.  A couple of weeks into summer vacation, I started really exercising more.  Two classes on Monday, two on Tuesday, and one on Thursday.  I also picked two other days to run.  Late July, I had to drop one of the Tuesday classes only because of my work schedule.  Today I continue to do 2 classes on Monday, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday and sometimes one on Wednesday.  I also run on Fridays and if I don't do a class on Wednesday I run then (or I try to fit in another one on the weekend).
     So after plugging in my numbers on my current weight and what I wanted to weigh etc  my fitness pal will give me the calories I need to eat per day.  Of course I get extra if I exercise, but it calculates all of that for me.  I would say 95% of the time I am in my range, except if there is a special event or we go out to eat.  My Fitness Pal always says....."if every day were like today, you would weigh ---- in 5 weeks".  I didn't weigh for 5 weeks and to my surprise, the scale had not moved.  What?  Are you kidding me?  Here I am at 60+ days and I might be down 2 pounds.  Talk about discouraging.  (Remember that I had gained some extra weight in the fall and around the holidays and did not get serious about taking it off until June).  I even measured myself thinking I maybe had lost inches from my previous MFP entries and to my surprise, they had not moved either.  I know people say you can't measure yourself by the scale.  In fact, I have one instructor who never weighs herself.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong as I am exercising 5-6 hours a week plus staying within calorie limits, but it sure is discouraging that I should weigh "blah blah blah".  I will continue working out and I will keep logging in my food and maybe someday my work will pay off.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I'll say this: I had no idea you had gained any weight back. It certainly doesn't show! All your work is paying off, even if the scales aren't showing it. Go, Jen, go!

Penne said...

Hey Sweet Jen...remember, if you are exercising more you may be adding muscles. I struggle sometimes with the scale moving, too. I never measure myself but I do weigh every morning and night ;). My biggest encouragement is not the scale or the tape measure but how my clothes fit. (wellllll.. maybe that is not the whole truth...I do like when the scale moves) I am not always very good at this but they say to drink over 100oz of water a day for weight loss. Hang in there!