BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 8, 2013

Ugh!!

I'm not sure who was more upset that spring break was over.....me or the kids.  I must admit that I really enjoyed the slow pace/do what you want to do for a week.  Today is only Monday and I've already had it.  Unfortunately for Joshua, he did not inherit my brother's gift for math....instead he got my genes!!  The school uses Saxon math and it works for some, but not for others.  Joshua is one of those that I think would do better with a different math program.  His homework is all over the board.  For instance, today he is working on lesson 101.....the homework covers anything from lesson 1-101.  There is probably four or five problems from the actual lesson and the rest can be from anything.  His tests are the same way.  Instead of testing on the last five lessons, his tests will be from chapter 1-100.  Once again I find myself in tears tonight.  I try to check his work, but I can't do it at all.  I can't do sixth grade math!!  I'm not sure what else I can do.  I can't afford a tutor and I can't check his homework.  I had thought about the possibility of home schooling him next year, but I can't teach him math, so what would I ever do?  The school has told me that he could come and take math, but that doesn't solve my problem....I do not like the saxon math (at this level) and I still would not be able to help him.

2 comments:

sara said...

I feel your pain! But I can see how it would be really hard to have to be tested on all that content. With Wes there are things we struggle with, but then there are chapters where he does better and can have a break on some things for awhile.

I think we will be going Aleks next year

http://www.aleks.com

It takes your kid from wherever they are at in math and goes at their pace. I'm excited to try it. And it is pretty affordable.

Lydia said...

If you decide to homeschool, you will find the perfect math curriculum for YOU- that you will be able to teach and that Josh will be able to learn.The nice thing about homeschooling is it's not a one size fits all and you can do what works best for you. I also love the way most curriculums explain things so well that I am learning right along with Kimberly! We are doing 6th grade math also and it is NOT my thing. Rich ends up helping Kimberly way more than I do.