BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Lessons From A First Grader


Don't you like our spider treats we made? I don't know why they never quite look like the pictures!


I have learned a lot from Joshua the past few days. It makes me realize that first of all, he is listening, and secondly, I can learn from him. Yesterday, we had this real battle with homework. He fought me hard with it. By the time Jack came home, I was mentally tired. Joshua suddenly got really quiet. He didn't want to play and just sat on the couch. I finally convinced him to go out for a walk with me to talk to me. He told me what was wrong. He told me that he felt bad because he had a bad attitude earlier. I asked him what he needed to do and he said he needed to ask me to forgive him, and then ask God. He wanted to be alone to do it. He wanted to go to the bathroom where he could get away from everyone. I was just touched and knew it was God working on his heart. Friday, he got in trouble at school for talking. He has had a really great year, so we discussed why it was wrong and he told me that he went into the bathroom at school and asked God to forgive him. It just reminded me of a lot of things. Also on Friday, I was all upset because I forgot the taco seasoning. I was really bothered by it, and Joshua spoke up and said " Mom, you have to be happy and thankful with what we have" Now, where did that come from? Just a few sentences later, I mentioned that I didn't feel well, and he said "well mom, did you pray and ask God to help you feel better". He has also mentioned to me that his teachers didn't know God and he was praying for him. Sometimes I wonder if this kid is 6 or 13? Of course things like this don't happen often, and I am proud of him and embrace times like these. He took the time with me....just me....on a walk, telling me that he was wrong. Later that night, he wanted to go into his room with Jack and just talk. How many times do we get opportunities like that? Is my child perfect? Not even close, but I am proud of him and how much he really is soaking in. I am learning that even small things can be a chance to teach him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is sweet. It just goes to show you how God moves us. Even the children.

fillup said...

Wednesday Evening: This touched heart! A little child shall lead them as the Bible says. The faith of a child most of the time is better than some of us who have known and walked with Lord all our lives! Jennifer, I didn't have a chance to tell you today when I was out there, but before you left to take Joshua to school and Jacob to pumpkin patch, Joshua and I were in the kitchen and Joshua said, "Grandma, I am a Christian!" I said, "yes, I know, you have asked Jesus in your heart." He went on to say, that his teacher did not know Jesus and was praying for her/him? How precious is that? Yes, Joshua acts like he is much older and asking for forgiveness is a wonderful trait. How many adults asks one another for forgiveness and gets that forgiveness from us or from God. I am holding this tightly in my heart! You and Jack are wonderful partents and teaching your children about the Lord, and leading your lives before them to see Jesus in your lives. Mom