BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

What A Week......

I'm happy this week is almost over. Let's just say that I'm glad it's the weekend. It all started Wednesday.....we got a new student in our 4 year old class. I had his sister in the 3 year old class before I lost my hours. Annabelle is the little girl with autism who soon won my heart. Well, her brother Hunter also has autism, but 100 times worse. It was a nightmare of a day. He can't speak, only to say his name. He covers his ears and he won't sit down. When Melody and I tried to correct him, he ran away, down the hall from us twice. He kept spitting in the other kids faces and I had about 5 of them in a corner scared to death. His therapist told his mom he was not ready for this, but mom thought he was. I was literally shaking because I couldn't comfort the other 10 kids when he was running around. I've not been trained to work with severe autism (or non-severe autism). Even our class "bully" was scared of him and in a corner. I honestly don't know if I can make it until the end of May. Melody and I were both relieved when he didn't show up today. (we already have one autistic child in class, but we can control him...but he was feeding off the other one).
After this we had a staff meeting. I was really bothered because I told my boss that I would be willing to sub on the days that I don't work. We had two teachers out on Thursday and she didn't call me after she told me I could sub. It really bothered me. She also has new plans next year. They will only have two 4 year old classes instead of 3, which means I will no longer get the 4 year olds which is my passion. I don't know if I will get 5 days or not, but if I do, I will strictly be working with 3 year olds. She is adding an extra 2 year old class, but I told her I didn't want to work 2's as I feel that is just babysitting. Sometimes I feel that I am getting "pushed out" of this door, but God has not opened another door yet.
Next, Jacob got sick early Thursday morning. Thankfully it was a very very quick bug and thankfully Jack got up to help me because I don't know if after the day like that if I would have had the strength to handle it on my own. Normally I am ok because my mommy mode kicks in, but not this time. Just a few hours after this Jack left for sunny San Diego. I miss him so much. It is SO HARD to be a single parent. I get so lonely at nights and sometimes a little scared of being on my own. It would have been nice to get away next weekend after the week I have had, but I'll be ok. I do need to be thankful as my niece's husband has to go to Haiti, and my friend's husband has been deployed for Afghanistan for a YEAR!!! She has three kids the same ages as I do, and I don't know how she will do it. Meanwhile, I will pray for continued strength and that next week will be a better week for me. Only 7 more days and he will be home!

2 comments:

sara said...

So sorry it has been a rough week. Glad Jacob is feeling better!!!

Lydia said...

Wow, Jen- what a week!!!! I would have just have had to have a "mommy alone in the tub with a book" night:)