BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The School Dilemma

I've been wanting to post about this for some time and decided now was a great time to write about things. I've been really debating about what to do next year with school for the kids. Joshua will be in second grade (oh my) and Jacob will be starting kindergarten (wow). I've been really bothered by things the last few weeks. It all boils down to Joshua's teacher, Mrs. Johnson. Now Mrs. Johnson is nice and she is definitely experienced, however, she does not want to be there. Joshua told me one day "Mrs. Johnson doesn't ever smile, mommy. She just isn't happy". "She only smiles when the mommies come in". That's pretty observant for a 1st grader. He has told me several times that "she doesn't know Jesus". There are several reasons why I am not fond of this year and have struggled with things. First is the reason I just listed. Secondly, she doesn't want to do anything extra. She doesn't want to do class parties. Why should my child be punished because he is in the wrong class? She puts me as room mom in positions that I don't feel comfortable with, things that I think should come from a teacher and not me. She also relies on the computer a lot (don't we all) but she isn't staying on top of Joshua's reading like I would and that bothers me. When you go into the classroom, you can tell that she is very stressed and overwhelmed. I've been tempted many times this year just to pull Joshua and teach him myself, but Jack and I both feel that I made a commitment to preschool and it wouldn't be right in the middle of the year to quit.
So, we are thinking about next year. I am ready to home school Joshua. I think I could do a great job. I am worried about Jacob though. Kindergarten is a year that he gets a lot of basics and structure. I think Jacob needs a year of that. We look into the Christian School for next year. We found one that was affordable for the two of them and I drove by it yesterday. The problem is that it is 17 miles one way. That would be about 350 miles of driving....wear and tear on the van, not to mention gas prices. You could tack on about $65 a week in gas with prices going up. There is a school closer, however it is $150 more a month and still 14 miles away. I have to take the boys, come home, pick them up, come home, and of course, that is how the mileage gets tacked on.
Then we thought about home schooling Joshua and then taking Jacob to school, but how would Jacob think (in the mind of a 5 year old)...I have to go to school and Josh stays home with mommy.? I think he would have a hard time with that.
I ask Joshua what he wants and he says he wants to go back to his school next year. Maybe it's just that we have a really bad teacher. Maybe next year would be better??? Oh, this is so hard. I know you think "this is next year, why is she even so concerned?" Well, if you want in the Christian school, you have t be ahead and start the process in February or you won't get in.

2 comments:

sara said...

I know that the Lord will make it clear to you. He wants to lead us- and He made it very clear to us, through different circumstances that we needed to homeschool. I think that if you are supposed to send him back to school that you will get a peace about that- otherwise God will give you a peace to homeschool. I will pray for you guys. I know it is a life changing decision.

Unknown said...

I agree with Sara about the Lord making it clear to you. And if you think He is telling you to homeschool both of them, don't worry about Jacob. I was the same way with Sam, being scared teaching him all the basics, but you can do it. Especially since he has been in preschool, he will have a little head start. I will pray for you too!